In 2015, there were 7 million job openings for coding related positions in the US. Recently, out of the top 25 jobs listed this year, eight jobs are technology related jobs. This goes to show the rise in the technology world and the demand for professionals who have basic and advanced coding skills.
As the demand for such professionals with these skills increases, so does the demand for online-based learning platforms to gain knowledge and equip oneself with such skills. Below, we have reviewed three main platforms, highlighting their pros and cons. You might consider joining one of these platforms to learn coding.
Treehouse believes in the democratization of technical education. There are currently too many barriers, economical and psychological. Our students learn at their own pace and become job ready within months at a fraction of the cost.
- Has a vast heritage of existence since it was founded in 2011. Hence gains more credibility with new and existing users.
- Has over 1000+ videos to gain coding knowledge from.
- The videos are high quality from picture quality, content to voice over and instructor presentations.
- The website is adaptable for use in various devices. One can code from anywhere on a modern browser. You don’t need to be at a desktop all the time.
- Use of points and badges to motivate users as they advance from one level to the other.
- Use of interactive quizzes and coding challenges.
- The instructors use uncommon coding jargon in the lessons, which may leave inexperienced or first times coders confused.
- Some of the content, though high quality is less engaging and one can lose interest very fast.
- In a situation where one fails a test, you can resit it, however you will only be tested with the same question minimizing the challenge.
Udemy is a global marketplace for learning and teaching online where students are mastering new skills and achieving their goals by learning from an extensive library of over 55,000 courses taught by expert instructors.
- The content is great and well thought out for a better learning experience.
- There is a variety of courses to choose from hence bettering the learning experience.
- The website / brand support and communication process is poor, taking up to 3 days to get help or a response, which at times isn’t quite conclusive.
- Some of the courses are sold prematurely without clear communication around the outcomes you can expect after completing the course.
Udacity’s mission is to democratize education through the offering of world-class higher education opportunities that are accessible, flexible, and economical.
- Career opportunities available upon graduating.
- Wide range of courses especially in programming and computer science.
- Well selected instructors with proved and formidable records of accomplishment.
- The free classes are not extensive and offer minimal lessons to glean from.
- Employment promises are vaguely realized making the offer questionable.
- The discussion forums are not well moderated and this contributes to meaningless or dormant discussions that do not really serve the purpose of the platform.
If you have been looking to start off on your coding journey, the above platforms are places you can start considering. This will help you make a better-informed decision as you choose the platform that works for you and is within your resources. There you have it. Happy coding.
- Gavin has 15 years experience as a HR Manager and Leader within large and growing companies. During this time Gavin has seen thousands of resumes and conducted just as many interviews. Gavin has turned his knowledge and passion in this space into a full time profession and launched Jobs in Bradford his career advisory and consulting website.
- Job Applications2017.10.18How To Track and Manage Job Applications When You Are Looking For A New Position
- Training & Professional Development2017.09.28Learn To Code & Boost Your Career: 3 Websites Where You Can Learn To Code!
- Resgination2017.09.129 Reasons Why People Hate Their Bosses
- Resgination2017.08.24How To Write A Resignation Letter The Right Way